I would love to see more romance/erotica include role-playing between the characters. And while I generally think of it in terms of kinky or bdsm play, it doesn’t have to be. Billionaire seduced by the pool boy could present a hot scenario for a couple working class men to play with, for example.
Top 5 reasons I love role-playing in erotica or romance:
- Adds variety and spice to the sex scenes
- Provides an interesting window into the characters. What do they fantasize about? If given the chance to be someone else for a while, who do they choose?
- Lets the characters out to play. There’s generally a bit of silliness in creating a scenario and a complete suspension of disbelief and seeing how someone plays and lets go or doesn’t can show you a lot about who someone is and how they see themselves.
- Opportunity to play with sexy tropes without having to acknowledge and handle the realities of the actual situation which may be far darker or problematic. (e.g. Being kidnapped and turned into a sex slave for an ancient warlord can certainly work as a premise for a dark erotic novel. But with role-playing, you can play with the concept without dealing with the unpleasant realities if you want.)
- Just plain fun to write. No one expects their sex games to be historically accurate or contain completely reasonable actions, so you can let go and write what’s sexy without it having to be completely sensible. (e.g. A real doctor who gets over-interested in thoroughly examining a patient’s genitals is disturbing, but you’re playing at it…)
Obviously, this only works if the characters themselves would enjoy it, but I think it’s an underused tool that I’d love to see more of.
Any recommendations for books that do this well? Opinions on whether you like reading about people role-playing during sex?